The Hardmans' House
The former home and studio of the husband-and-wife photographers E Chambré (1898-1988) and Margaret Hardman (1909-1970).
Similar studio museums...
- The Photographic Studio of Josip Pelikan, Slovenia - a rare example of a nineteenth-century glass photographic studio
- 18 Stafford Terrace, United Kingdom - the studio and family home of the Punch cartoonist Edward Linley Sanbourne (1844-1910)
- Guided Tours
Born in Dublin, Edward Chambré Hardman took his first photographs at the age of nine and developed his practice while serving as a regular officer in India. He and his business partner Kenneth Burrell purchased premises in Liverpool's commercial centre in 1923, and established a photographic studio there. In 1932, Hardman married his former photographic assistant, Margaret Mills. Since Burrell had handed the business over entirely to his former partner, Edward and Margaret Hardman established their own practice instead, and purchased 59 Rodney Street in the early 1950s. This house would remain their home and studio for the rest of their lives, with Margaret running the business, but also taking her own evocative photographs, many of them unsigned.
After Margaret's death in 1970, Hardman's mental and physical health declined, and he soon became a recluse. Rescued from destruction by a philanthropist, the 'Hardmans' House', as it is now known, was transferred to the National Trust after Hardman's death in 1988, complete with its contents. The collection includes over 13,000 objects, including everyday items such as soaps, stockings, books and postcards, as well as studio tools - camera equipment, toys, chairs, and a stuffed leopard named Carruthers. Today, the house provides a glimpse into domestic and artistic life in mid-twentieth century Liverpool.
Admission is by timed ticket only
6 - 28 May, Fridays and Saturdays
9 September - 29 October, Fridays and Saturdays
£8 Adults, £4 Children
Free for National Trust members