Emery Walker's House

Splendid Arts and Crafts interiors in the former home of the engraver, photographer and printer Emery Walker (1851-1933).

Similar studio museums...

Feature List

  • Guided Tours

Walker moved to Hammersmith Terrace in the 1870s, where he found himself neighbouring the bookbinder T. J. Cobden-Sanderson (1840-1922), the calligrapher Edward Johnston (1872-1944), and the art critic F. G. Stephens (1827-1907). A socialist with a particular interest in printing, Walker played a major part in the Arts and Crafts movement, and was a close associate of William Morris (1834-1896), who also lived nearby, at Kelmscott House.

Walker lived first at 3 Hammersmith Terrace and at Number 7 from 1903, at which point he directly transferred the bulk of his furniture. Preserved for posterity by his daughter Dorothy and managed by the Emery Walker Trust from 1999, Number 7 is displayed much as Walker left it. Typical of many of the homes of key Arts and Craft figures, it testifies to Walker's long friendship with William Morris, combining Morris & Co. textiles and furnishings with seventeenth- and eighteenth-century furniture, as well as Middle Eastern and North African textiles and ceramics.

Opening Times

Open on Thursdays and Saturdays, by guided tour only.

Please book through the Emery Walker website.

Admission prices:

£15 which includes one and a half hour guided tour

Accurate as of February 2022


020 8741 4104

Social Media