A former summer home, artistic project and final resting place for Swedish sculptor Carl Milles (1875-1955)
- Guided Tours
- Family activities
- Sculpture garden
Carl Milles travelled and trained in Paris, under Auguste Rodin (1840-1917), and subsequently worked in Sweden and America, where he is known for his public sculptures. He married the painter Olga Milles (1874-1967) in 1906, and together they bought the property that became Millesgården, on the Herserud cliff above Lake Värtan, on the island of Lidingö, near Stockholm. The aim was to create a home and combined art studio suitable for both painting and sculpture.
Carl and Olga Milles lived here on and off until their deaths in at mid-century, and were subsequently buried on the site. Carl Milles' half-brother, the architect Evert Milles, oversaw many of the works to expand and develop the property and by the 1920s Millesgården included a loggia wing with an open-air studio and adjoining properties along the south slopes. Millesgården was presented to the public in 1936.