Kügelgenhaus — Museum of Dresden Romanticism
The family home of the portraitist and history painter Gerhard von Kügelgen (1772-1820), and former meeting place of early Romanticism.
Similar studio museums...
- Guided Tours
- Chamber concerts
- Literary and musical events programme
The late seventeenth-century house known to Kügelgen as 'Gottessegen' ('God's blessing') and today dubbed the "Kügelgenhaus“ is situated in the Baroque surroundings of the Inner Neustadt, Dresden. The painter and portraitist Gerhard von Kügelgen moved into the second storey of the house with his young family in the late summer of 1808, and lived here until his death in 1820. During his time in Dresden, 'Gottessegen' became a meeting place for artists and thinkers associated with the early Romantic movement, including Kügelgen's close friend and pupil Caspar David Friedrich (1774-1840).
Since 1981 the Kügelgenhaus has housed the Museum of Dresden Romanticism. It presents one of the most important periods of late eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century Dresden's cultural and intellectual history across nine thematically arranged rooms. As well as exploring the world of the von Kügelgen family and Kügelgen's circle in the years around 1800, the museum also presents material relating to the social circle of the Lord Councilor for the Consistory, Christian Gottfried Körner (1756-1831).