The Carl Eldh Studio Museum
The unusual wooden studio designed by Ragnar Östberg for the Swedish sculptor Carl Eldh (1873-1954).
Similar studio museums...
- Musée Rodin Meudon - La Villa des Brillants, France - the former studio of Eldh's great inspiration, the French sculptor Auguste Rodin (1840-1917)
- Millesgården, Sweden - the summer home and artistic project of Edlh's contemporary, the great Swedish sculptor Carl Milles (1875-1955)
- Guided Tours
- Gift shop
Born to parents in the small mining community of Söderskogen, Carl Eldh trained in Stockholm for several years before saving enough money to travel to Paris and learn at the Académie Colarossi, under contemporary French artists including Auguste Rodin (1840-1917). When he returned to Sweden in 1904, he had already won a gold medal at the Paris Salon, and he quickly established himself as a monumental portrait sculptor. In 1919, he established a permanent studio in Bellevue Park, built to designs by the prominent Swedish architect Ragnar Östberg (1866-1945). The unusual wooden construction Östberg designed offered panoramic views out onto Brunnsviken and Haga, as well as its strong northerly light; Eldh worked here until his death, gradually moving away from the French influence of his youth to a more distinctively simplified approach to form.
The Carl Eldh Studio Museum opened to the public in 1963, under the management and guidance of Brita Eldh, the artist's daughter. It underwent significant changes over the successive decades before, finally, re-opening after extensive renovations and modernisation in 2008. It displays its contents much as they appeared during Eldh's lifetime, including several hundred plaster models, sketches and sculptures in clay, marble and bronze.