The Mackintosh House

Visitor information

Feature List

  • Open to the public
  • Gift shop
  • Library
  • Gallery
  • Archive

The interior as a 'complete work of art' in the former home of Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) and Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh (1864-1933).

The Mackintosh House has a complex history. In 1900 architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868–1928) and artist Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh (1864–1933) rented a flat in Mains Street in the centre of Glasgow, where they redesigned the interiors in their uniquely individual style. In 1906 they moved to 6 Florentine Terrace in the city's fashionable West End. In his radical remodelling of this mid-Victorian house, Mackintosh reused many of the furnishings and fittings created for Mains Street. When Florentine Terrace was demolished in 1963, the interiors were carefully preserved and eventually reassembled in a purpose-designed wing of Glasgow University's Hunterian Art Gallery. The three-storey configuration of the original house has been recreated exactly, and the new building is just 100m from the site of Florentine Terrace, so the Mackintoshes' rooms retain their original orientation, natural lighting and views.

The rooms embody the ideal of the interior as a complete work of art, in which the design and arrangement of every feature is controlled by the architect. Space and light, as well as furnishings and decoration, are manipulated to produce effects of extraordinary beauty and refinement. From the sombre ground-floor dining room with its dark, high-backed chairs, visitors ascend to the predominantly white studio-drawing room on the first floor, and from there to the light-filled bedroom with its white-painted furniture on the floor above. The House is an outstanding example of Mackintosh's work as architect and designer, and it offers a unique insight into the private world of the artist-couple.

Similar studio museums...
  • La Maison Cauchie - home of fellow artist couple Paul Cauchie (1875-1952) and Caroline Voet (1875-1969) another example of a 'total artwork.'
  • The Red House - founding place of Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co (later Morris & Co) and former home of William Morris (1834-1896).
  • Hortamuseum - the open plan home of Art Nouveau proponent Victor Horta (1861-1947).

Address:

Hunterian Art Gallery, 82 Hillhead Street
University of Glasgow
Glasgow
United Kingdom
G12 8QQ

Telephone:

0141 330 4221

Email:

hunterian-enquiries@glasgow.ac.uk

Plan your visit
Opening times:

Tuesday - Saturday 10.00am - 5.00pm

Sundays 11.00am - 4.00pm

Closed Mondays

Last admission 4.15pm (3.15pm on Sunday)


Admission Prices:

£6.00/£3.00 concession

Children go free

Accurate as of September 2018.

Social Media